Wednesday, October 15, 2008

You Have Stolen My Heart

Before the show


Dashboard Confessional is one of my favorite bands of all time. Last Saturday Krystal and I went to the Rock Band Live concert at San Jose State. The Cab, Plain White T's, Dashboard Confessional, and Panic at the Disco! played (in that order). Despite my swooning anticipation for Dashboard, I really enjoyed Plain White T's. Their famous acoustic song "Hey There Delilah" is not really representative of their style, but they have a fun, upbeat sound.

The Plain White T's


I was sad that Dashboard wasn't the headliner, but the show was great. A little bit flashier and louder than usual, but understandable since they are touring to promote the release of the Rock Band 2 video game. Krystal and I thought that their time on stage was really short, but when we were talking about it afterward we could remember at least 10 songs. As you can tell, we went to the concert just to see Dashboard. We even made shirts with our favorite song lyrics. Mine is from "Age Six Racer" and says "so long sweet slumber, I fell into you now you're gracefully falling away." Krystal's says "my heart is sturdy but it needs you" from "Reason to Believe."
After Dashboard played, we decided to go look for Chris Carrabba (Dashboard's front man). Meeting him was one of the main reasons we came. We snuck out the back entrance in hopes of getting closer to the buses, but after going down some stairs and through a door we ended up right near the stage exit where we were interrogated by security guards...ok that's a bit of an exaggeration, they pretty much just wanted to know why we were coming out that way since we weren't supposed to be there. After that we walked around the entire events center trying to figure out where to go. We decided to go back and loiter near the stage exit. While we were there we saw several other groups of fans wander by who were also clearly searching for Dashboard. You see it's a well known fact that Chris likes to chat with the fans after a show. Krystal kept her unusually keen ears and eyes open while I scoped out an ostentatious looking limo (I should have known it wasn't Dashboard's style). While I was doing that Krystal noticed some other chicas loudly exclaiming about meeting Chris. Anyway, to make a long story short we met Chris Carrabba and drummer Mike Marsh! Yay! Ok, now take a moment to let that sink in. Breathe in and out. YAY!

Chris and Mike were very gracious and relaxed and even their bodyguard was really nice and took pictures for us. We talked to a few other fans and let me tell you, I have not yet met a Dashboard Confessional fan that I did not like. If you listen to DC you are pretty much awesome.
Chris noticed Krystal's shirt right away and said, "Oh, we should have played that song tonight." I think the most amazing thing of all though is that Krystal did not get grumpy from being hungry. We ate lunch around 1:30 and did not eat anything else until after 11pm. If you have ever been around Hungry Krystal you know what a miracle this is. I finally found something that Krystal loves more than food!

Chris Carrabba, Krystal, me and Mike Marsh



*Sigh* see you next time Chris (and bodyguard dude).


Pizza My Heart. Open late for the college kids, thank goodness! (isn't Krystal's new haircut cute?)


2 comments:

Lyndsee said...

I can't BELIEVE you met Chris Carabba! And you got his picture. You are, like, the most die hard Dashboard fan I know. I love it!

Ashley said...

That is amazing Krystal didn't get grumpy!!! Sounds like it was lots of fun!