Monday, December 29, 2008

Highlights from Southern California Thanksgiving Trip


We met Goofy Santa (Santa Goofy?)


New Orleans square is one of my favorite parts of Disneyland. The Christmas decorations there are blues and greens. I love them.

We visited Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California, mostly for Adam, but I think I may have enjoyed it more than him. Adam is way into family history and a lot of famous people are buried there. I was absolutely amazed by the art and buildings--I had no idea. This cemetery is completely unique. There are sculptures, statues, fountains, and chapels everywhere. It is more like a park than a cemetery because all the headstones are down in the ground and there are rolling hills of beautifully kept grass and trees. I would not mind being buried in Forest Lawn.

This replica of Michelangelo's David astounded me. It is absolutely beautiful. And I had no idea it is so HUGE. I'm still in awe.




There is also a replica of DaVinci's The Last Supper in stained glass, as well as Michelangelo's La Pietà. Who needs to go to Italy when we've got all these exact copies of world famous works of art right here in one place? Check out the website for more info.

Kelsey sat in the wishing chair. If you sit there on your wedding day with your husband and kiss, then you will have a happy marriage . . . or something like that. Kelsey is just wishing for a husband.


While we were there we saw Jimmy Stewart's grave and a marker for Walt Disney, but he is supposedly criogenically frozen . . .

After Forest Lawn we went to Santa Monica Pier and the 3rd Street Promenade. For some reason we took zero pictures on the promenade, but we saw tons of cool street performers and ate the tastiest gelato at Angelato Cafe. I think by that time we were pretty wiped out. Our feet were already tired from walking around Disneyland for two days. But we headed over to Hollywood to see . . .

. . . just for Adam. He absolutely adores Lucille Ball.


The famous Capitol Records building decked out for Christmas.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

what a fun trip !! :)

Shauna said...

Looks like tons of fun!! Too bad I have to wait to read your blog to hear about it....:o(....Oh, and thank you for being discreet with your close-up shot of David! ;o)